Sunday, April 23, 2017

When I was

When I was young (well younger),
I was shy, and I was scared
I hid behind my father's legs,
afraid of anything that would break or chip away me.
When I was young (well younger),
I didn't know that it was okay to be different
I walked with my head hung low,
trying to blend in with the crowd.

Now,
I am resilient, and I am aware
I face my fears head on,
knowing that fear only has the power that I give it.
Now,
I see that everyone is different, that's what make us human
I dance in the streets,
without a care in the world of who sees.

Looking back on my life the biggest change I noticed that took place was my self-confidence. I used to be so afraid of people judging me if I said the wrong thing or acted the wrong way, so I kept everything bottled up in my head.  What the IB program taught me is that no matter what thought was bouncing around in my head, it was okay to share it. The last two years of my life have been a true roller coaster, but I was lucky enough to be in an environment where everyone around me was riding the same ride.  When ever we were were thrown into a loop, or jolted into a jagged turn, we just kept looking forward to when the ride would end, not really appreciating how it would make us stronger.  Now when the cart is climbing the last hill, using the remainder of its energy, I hope that we will be ready for what ever comes, no matter how high or steep the drop.  And when the ride is over I wish that we will realize how truly great it was.









No comments:

Post a Comment