Sunday, October 2, 2016

What's in a Name?

My first name, "Kristen" was chosen from a heavy influence from my father.  He is a service manager, and while meeting with a customer, he stumbled upon a "Kristen" that worked for his customer.  After briefly talking to her, he found how well-educated, responsible, and respectful she was.  These characteristics appeared within every "Kristen" he met from then on.  When I was born, he wanted me to follow the path of the other "Kristen"s that he met.  Even though my name does not define who I am, it correlates to it.  Just because my name is "Kristen", it does not automatically give me the characteristics associated with the name.  The decisions and actions I do in my life are tied to my name, when others talk about me they associate the name the hear to my actions and personality.

I have had situations which I have been a "two," when I am an individual, but part of a whole at the same time.  Since I have an older brother, others have perceived me as the same person that he is.  Teachers that have previously had him as a student, were influenced by how he acted and use that to judge me before they get to know me.   Although we have some similarities, our differences is what make us individuals.  Teachers that have not had my brother see me as an individual rather than as apart of a whole, because they have gotten to know me and my individual personality.

5 comments:

  1. That's a neat story behind your name. I find that I associate names with people's actions and their personality. I have plenty of names that I know I will never name my children because I've met people that have ruined those names for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha- I love the story behind your name. It's so random but so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this story of your dad naming you after all the awesome "Kristen"s he has met. I love how you said that your name does not define you; it just correlates to who you are. I think this is so true. Also, I find it so interesting how people of one generation can influence the next generation, such as if a certain person had a positive impression on someone or if another person had a negative impression on someone. I definitely associate positive feelings toward certain names and negative feelings toward other names. I can relate to you regarding the older sibling dilemma, such as when those people who know your older sibling automatically have an opinion on you or an idea of how you should act. Usually, for me, this is a good thing, but I also like just being the me without the preconceived notions of me based on my older sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your second paragraph about you and your brother very relateable. I also really liked the story behind your name. Do you think that you share some of the same characteristics as the Kristens your dad met?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your first paragraph reminded me of your theme in art!!(I'm not sure if you've changed it??) The story behind your first name is so neat! I've read a few blog posts sharing about older siblings and teachers associating them with you, I wasn't aware that it happens so often. I probably don't realize it because I don't have any older siblings; guess this is something my younger siblings will have to deal with. Would you say that you and your brother are more different than similar?

    ReplyDelete